Be Careful What You Keep In Your Wallet!
If you have been meaning to clean out your wallet, do it now! You can lighten the load and protect your identity from being stolen.
Kiplinger has compiled a list of some things to never (EVER!) carry in your wallet. If you do this, the risk of identity theft will be lessened if your wallet is ever stolen.
Here are a couple big ones!
1) Your Social Security Card. The card should be kept in a safe and secure location.
2) A list of your passwords. It's understandable that there are a lot of passwords to remember, but your wallet is not the place for them!
3) Spare keys to your home. Your driver's license and a key to your house is an invite for thieves!
4) A spare blank check. All a thief needs to raid your checking account is a blank check. The routing and account numbers allow anyone to electronically transfer funds from your account.
5) Your birth certificate. A birth certificate alone is not enough to steal your identity, but used in combination with other forms of identification, such as a passport or Social Security card, much damage can be done.