Mother’s Day Breakfast Casserole
Make your mother something delicious on Mother's Day. She does everything for you! So make her something nice to show your appreciation!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 green onions, chopped (white and green parts)
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 3/4 cup Champagne or white wine
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 10 eggs, beaten
- 5 cups cubed day-old French bread
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 12 ounces ham, cubed
- To prepare sauce, melt butter in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add green onions and garlic; cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add flour; mix well. Stir in broth, Champagne, nutmeg, mustard and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce heat, and simmer until slightly thickened, about 15 minutes, stirring frequently. Remove from heat and whisk in sour cream.
- Place eggs in a medium bowl. Add a small amount of the hot mixture to eggs. Beat egg mixture into sauce; blend well.
- Grease a 13-x-9-inch baking dish.
- To prepare filling, arrange bread cubes in bottom of baking dish. Pour melted butter over bread cubes and top with cheese and ham. Pour egg mixture over top. Cover casserole with plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350F. Uncover casserole and place on a foil-lined baking sheet. Bake 55 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the center comes out clean. Serves 10 to 12.
Recipe by Ashley Murphy, Hastings, Neb.