Try This Nutella Croissant Casserole
My kids are addicted to Nutella! Their friends are too! I always have a huge jar at my house. So I think I'm going to have to make this for them. Sounds great!
- 7 large croissants (3-4 oz each)
- 21 ounces (1 3/4 cups) chocolate-hazelnut spread (like Nutella)
- 2/3 cup fresh berries, like raspberries or chopped strawberries
- 7 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup heavy cream
- 2/3 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 1/4 tsp salt
For the streusel topping:
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 3/4 cup coarsely chopped toasted hazelnuts
- 2 tablespoons Country Crock spread or butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Slice your croissants in half and place them cut side up on two baking sheets. Cook for about 10 minutes, until they’re lightly toasted on top. (If your croissants are stale and several days old, you can skip this step.)
- Spread the cut sides of the croissants with a generous amount of Nutella. Sandwich the croissants together—this makes them easier to cut. Cut each Nutella-filled croissant into pieces 1-2 inches long. Place them in a 13x9 baking pan, and add the berries. Toss gently to combine.
- Crack the eggs into a large mixing bowl, then beat them on medium speed until they’re broken up and well-mixed. Add the milk, cream, sugar, vanilla, and salt, and mix until combined. Pour the liquid over the croissants in the bowl, and toss well with your hands. Let the casserole sit for at least 30 minutes, tossing occasionally, while the croissants absorb the liquid. If desired, you can let it rest overnight at this point—just cover with cling wrap and refrigerate until you’re ready to bake in the morning.
- When you’re ready to bake, prepare the hazelnut streusel topping. In a bowl, toss together the flour, sugar, and chopped hazelnuts. Add the melted Country Crock or butter and mix until your streusel is in moist clumps.
- Preheat the oven to 350 F, then place the casserole in the oven and bake for 15 minutes. After 15 minutes sprinkle the streusel all over the top, and bake for an additional 20-25 minutes, until golden brown, crispy, and bubbly along the sides.
- Let the casserole cool at room temperature. It can be served warm, at room temperature, or chilled from the refrigerator. It’s also excellent with a little whipped cream or ice cream.